Connect East Timor - Campaign Plan 2007
The Campaign Team held its planning meeting in Brisbane, Australia, on 10 February 2007. It was well attended by the volunteers who, without exception, re-committed to the vision of Connect East Timor and also to the following goals for this year.
- Fundraising and Promotion (by 31 Dec 2007)
- Meet the fundraising target for 2007 of $ 100,000 to include remaining funds needed for Pilot Project and for CET promotion/lobbying with the Australian and Timor-Leste Governments
- Cash donations are still needed for the Pilot Project!!
- Secure a high priority (and ideally, funding) for full-scale CET implementation in the Government of Timor-Leste Sector Investment Program for telecommunications AND/OR Seek an election commitment from either/both sides of politics in Australia for AUD4M for the full scale implementation of CET.
- Pilot Project (by 30 Sep 2007, subject to the security situation)
- Connect an estimated 20,000 people for the first time by installing eight village radios plus a repeater in the Balibo and Lacluta sub-Districts
- Connect the sub-District of Lacluta with the District of Viqueque through a point to point radio link (at present, the people of Lacluta are 35kms from the nearest communications services)
- Test a mobile phone interface that will enable calls to be made between a village radio network and the telephone network operated by Timor Telecom
- Install additional radios in the Atabae sub-District (the number of radios will be subject to available funds)
- Undertake a maintenance check of the village radio network installed in Atabae by CET in 2005
- Subject to finalizing an agreement between CET and the ACT Government, install a local government radio network in Dili and on the island of Atauro supporting the requirements of the Dili District Administrator
- Implement a support arrangement for the village radio networks that includes the government’s radio workshop in Dili
Ther following figure shows the stages of the Connect East Timor Campaign and how the goals for 2007 fit into the overall Campaign:
Please check the Newsletters page for the latest updates on Campaign progress